|Posted by Tere Johnson on August 11, 2014 at 3:40 AM||comments (14)|
Day on the Green was the name of a recurring concert in Oakland, California, presented by promoter Bill Graham and his company Bill Graham Presents. Held at the Oakland Coliseum, these events began in 1973 and continued into the early 1990s. The last Day On The Green overseen by Graham took place the same month as his death in a helicopter crash in 1991. There was a series of Day On The Green shows the following year in the wake of Graham's death, but no more have been promoted since then.
• Day On The Green #1: Leon Russell, Loggins and Messina, Elvin Bishop, Merry Clayton (August 5, 1973).
• Day On The Green #1: Grateful Dead, The Beach Boys, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen (June 8, 1974).
• Day On The Green #2 & 3: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, The Band, Joe Walsh, Jesse Colin Young (July 13 & 14, 1974).
• Day On The Green #1: Chicago, The Beach Boys, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, New Riders Of The Purple Sage, Bob Seger (May 24, 1975).
• Day On The Green #2: The Doobie Brothers, Eagles, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, Kingfish (featuring Bob Weir) (June 29, 1975).
• Day On The Green #3: Robin Trower, Peter Frampton, Dave Mason, Fleetwood Mac, Gary Wright (August 3, 1975).
• Day On The Green #4 & 5: Led Zeppelin, Joe Walsh, Pretty Things (August 23–24, 1975). These shows were canceled when Robert Plant suffered serious injuries in a car crash prior to the tour.
• Day On The Green #6: Edgar Winter Group, Johnny Winter, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Earth Quake, Climax Blues Band (September 20, 1975).
• Day On The Green # 1 & 2: Peter Frampton, Fleetwood Mac, Gary Wright, Status Quo (4/25 only), UFO (5/1 only) (April 25, 1976 / May 1, 1976).
• Day On The Green #3: Boz Scaggs, Tower of Power, Santana, Jeff Beck, Journey, Nils Lofgren (June 5, 1976).
• Day On The Green #4: The J. Geils Band, Jeff Beck, Blue Öyster Cult, Mahogany Rush, Sammy Hagar (June 6, 1976).
• Day On The Green #5: The Beach Boys, America, Elvin Bishop, John Sebastian, Eureka. (July 2, 1976).
• Day On The Green #6: Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Loggins and Messina, Renaissance (August 3, 1976).
• Day On The Green #7: Jethro Tull, Electric Light Orchestra, Rory Gallagher, (August 18, 1976).
• Day on the Green #7 & 8: The Who, Grateful Dead (October 9 & 10, 1976).
• Day On The Green #1: Fleetwood Mac, The Doobie Brothers, Gary Wright, Steve Gibbons Band (May 7, 1977).
• Day On The Green #2 & 3: Eagles, Steve Miller Band, Heart, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Foreigner (May 28 & 30, 1977).
• Day On The Green #4 & 5: Peter Frampton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Santana, Outlaws (July 2 & 4, 1977).
• Day On The Green #6 & 7: Led Zeppelin, Derringer, Judas Priest (July 23 & 24 1977).
• Day On The Green #1: The Beach Boys, Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, Elvin Bishop, Norton Buffalo (May 28, 1978).
• Day On The Green #2: Steve Miller, Bob Seger, Outlaws, Ronnie Montrose, Toby Beau Band (June 17, 1978).
• Day On The Green #3: Aerosmith, Foreigner, Pat Travers, Van Halen, AC/DC, (July 23, 1978).
• Day On The Green #4: The Rolling Stones, Santana, Eddie Money, Peter Tosh, Toots and the Maytals (July 26, 1978).
• Day On The Green #5: Ted Nugent, Blue Öyster Cult, Journey, AC/DC, Cheap Trick (September 2, 1978).
• Day On The Green #1: Boston, Sammy Hagar, Eddie Money, Robert Fleischman (May 6, 1979).
• Day On The Green #2: Journey, The J. Geils Band, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Nazareth, The Rockets (July 4, 1979).
• Day On The Green #3: Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, St.Paradise (July 21, 1979).
• Day On The Green #4: Foghat, Foreigner, The Cars, Gamma, Bram Tchaikovsky (September 15, 1979).
• Day On The Green #1: Sammy Hagar, Blue Öyster Cult, REO Speedwagon, Triumph, Randy Hansen (July 4, 1980).
• Day On The Green #2: Journey, Cheap Trick, Black Sabbath, Molly Hatchet, Shakin' Street (July 27, 1980).
• Day On The Green #1: Heart, Blue Öyster Cult, Pat Travers, Loverboy, Ozzy Osbourne, 415 (July 4, 1981).
• Day On The Green #2: REO Speedwagon, Kansas, UFO, 38 Special, Gamma (August 2, 1981).
• Day On The Green #1: Journey, Santana, Toto, Gamma, The Tubes (June 26, 1982).
• Day On The Green #2: Foreigner, Loverboy, Scorpions, Iron Maiden (July 18, 1982).
• Day On The Green #3: The Who, The Clash, T-Bone Burnett (October 23, 1982).
• Day On The Green #1: Journey, Triumph, Eddie Money, Bryan Adams (July 30, 1983).
• Day On The Green #2: Simon & Garfunkel (August 20, 1983).
• Day On The Green #3: The Police, The Fixx, Madness, Oingo Boingo, and The Thompson Twins (September 10, 1983).
• Day On The Green #4: David Bowie, The Tubes, Translator (September 17, 1983).
No Day On The Green held this year.
• Day On The Green #1: Scorpions, Ratt, Y&T, Metallica, Rising Force, Victory (August 31, 1985).
• Day On The Green #2: Wham!, The Pointer Sisters, Katrina and the Waves (September 1, 1985).
No Day On The Green held this year.
• Day On The Green #1: Bob Dylan, Grateful Dead (July 24, 1987).
• Day On The Green #2: Mötley Crüe, Whitesnake, Poison, Jetboy (October 10, 1987).
• Day On The Green #3 & 4: U2, The Pretenders, The BoDeans, The Soup Dragons (November 14–15, 1987).
• Day On The Green # 1 & 2: Pink Floyd (April 22 & 23, 1988).
• Day On The Green #1 & 2: The Who (August 29 & 30, 1989).
• Day On The Green #3 & 4: The Rolling Stones, Living Colour. (November 4 & 5, 1989).
• Day On The Green #1: New Kids on the Block, Perfect Gentlemen, Rick Wes, Chris Pittman (September 8, 1990).
• Day On The Green #1: Metallica, Queensrÿche, Faith No More, Soundgarden (October 12, 1991). The final Day On The Green presented by Bill Graham before his death.
• Day On The Green #1: Genesis (June 20, 1992).
• Day On The Green #2: Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Body Count (September 24, 1992).
• Day On The Green #3: U2, Public Enemy, Sugarcubes (November 7, 1992).
|Posted by Tere Johnson on July 13, 2014 at 3:00 AM||comments (0)|
It's been 40 years since we went to school together and many of us have moved far away from the Almaden Valley in San Jose. Take a minute and add your name to the map below to share where you ended up.
Instructions: 1) Click on link below; 2) Find your current location on the map (use your curser and size adjustment to help find location) and click on your location; 3) Fill in your name, add a comment, browse your computer to upload a picture (optional), and choose an icon; 4) Hit "place!" and you're done!
|Posted by Tere Johnson on July 10, 2014 at 1:35 PM||comments (0)|
|Posted by Tere Johnson on July 10, 2014 at 1:10 PM||comments (0)|
Steven Beitashour '05 - Former member of the San Jose Earthquakes soccer team.
Jason Hardtke - Former professional baseball player.
Jerry Hsu - Professional skateboarder.
Brent Jones '81 - Former American football player and Pro Bowl tight end for the San Francisco 49ers.
Evan Low '01 - Member of the Campbell, California City Council and former Mayor of Campbell.
Joe Murray - Creator of TV animated series Rocko's Modern Life and Camp Lazlo.
Steve Smith '77 - Astronaut, holds all-time second place for cumulative spacewalk time.
Pat Tillman '93 - Former American football player, notable for turning down a multi-million dollar contract and enlisting as a United States Army Ranger in response to the September 11, 2001 attacks. He was killed in Afghanistan in 2004 by friendly fire. The football/track stadium at Leland is named Tillman Stadium after him.
Patrick Graham - Former NFL player for the Dallas Cowboys.
Kim Yubin - Rapper in the K-pop girl group Wonder Girls.
|Posted by Tere Johnson on May 13, 2014 at 10:50 AM||comments (1)|
I was really close to Jan, miss him a lot. Nancy Leegard-Silva
Jan was such a kind soul. He was always laughing. Very easy to be with. Lindsey Lewis
Patricia "Patty" Lallo Battistella
I remember Patty and I had a typying class (now there's a class that's probably not around anymore) together in junior high - she was a nice, pretty girl. Tere Johnson
I remember enjoying some laughs with Patty and her sister Helen (LHS '73), they were both good-natured and fun. Jim Waller
Jefferey "Jeff" Harker
Kathleen "Kathy" Jacques
Michael "Mike" Liversedge
Kathryn "Kathy" Mackey
Kathy passed away some time ago - maybe ten years, from pancreatic cancer. She was a good friend of mine with a beautiful mind and sense of humor, as well as being a very attractive woman. I, as well as many others, miss her. Glenn Abele
Suzanne "Suzi" Price
I will try to keep this brief, but she made a big impact on me. At LHS I think she and I talked for only 5 minutes. But in the spring of 1975 we started hanging together at SJSU (which reminds me - her birthday is tomorrow, 5/17). We dated for the next 7 months. I'll never forget the concert we went to July 4th - Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons plus Tommy James & the Shondells; fantastic. We broke up (staying friends) at the end of 75. I saw her off and on for the next 9 months. Then I got the shocking news that she had ended her life with an overdose of a prescription on October 6, 1976. (She had confided in me that she had tried it before, but was receiving medical care when we were together). She is buried in Philadelphia, PA with family. Suzi was one of the kindest and most caring people I've ever met. She loved animals and loving people and hated injustice. A very sensitive soul. Jim Waller
Alice Longworth Royall
Alice was a good friend of mine, her family lived across the street from mine on Washoe Dr. for many years. I have some great memories of Alice and the 4th of July block parties our neighborhood used to have. She was always so sweet and funny and had a big heart! She had a long battle with breast cancer and passed away about 13-14yrs ago, she was way too young that's for sure! Vickie Alexander
I can Hear her laugh, always funny and nice, her Mom was a sweetheart too. Sharon Miller
I can still hear her laughter too, it was contagious. Alice and I were good friends in school. I have great memories of her. My fondest memory is going camping with her family at Kit Carson Lodge. After I moved, we drifted apart. I was sad to hear of her passing. I would've loved to see her again, she was taken away from us way too soon. God bless you Alice. Linda Estabrook Gwin
|Posted by Tere Johnson on May 6, 2014 at 11:50 PM||comments (0)|
Abel, Milt 1
Amundson, Michael 2
Aumann, Patrice Larson 1
Battin, Mike 1
Beeson, Karen Lawther 2
Bell, Tom 2
Bergantz, Greg 2
Breen, Mark 1
Boles, Karen 2
Bouchette, Gloria Salazar 2
Burke, Doreene 1
Butler, Cindy Olsen 1
Cohn, Peter 1
Canton, Lynda Herrick 2
Davis, Ed 2
Davis, Kevin 1
Davis, Mich 1
Faro, Annamarie 1
Feeter, Kurt 1
Ferla, Al 2
Fisher, Henry 1
Flechsig, Lu Ann Hsue 1
Floyd, Jackie Howard 2
Fromm, Roger 2
Gates, Maureen O'Brien 1
Giacomazzi, Rick 1
Goodwin, Drew 1
Gordon, Jack 1
Grotte, Brandt 1
Gray, Tom 2
Gwin, Linda Estabrook 1
Helms, Bill 1
Heil, Joni Haesemeyer 1
Henderson, Jeanne 1
Hoeptner, Rahl 1
Johnson, Tere 2
Jorgensen, Lars 2
Keesling, Julie Tate 1
Lake, Rod 2
Lamberson, Dana 1
Landworth, Aaron 1
Lewis, Lindsey 2
Loftis, Diane Gaspari 1
Lude, Lynn Taylor 1
Lyall, Robin Rundel 2
McGlaughlin, Tim 1
Mclarty, Cherie Dobias 1
McMaster, Curt 1
Miller, Sharon Harris 1
Nelson, Lisa Eccles 2
Nelson, Pat 2
Newland, Mark 2
Ogren, Kimmberlyn Bassler 1
Ogilvie, Linda Contreras 1
Overholtzer, Greg 1
Parker, Teresa Sommerkorn 1
Pike, Michael 1
Polette, Shelley Wester 1
Puhger, Jeannie Gault 1
Rangel, Colleen Shatto 2
Radovich, Scott 1
Ranzau, Vicki Webber 1
Riggle, Judy Lentz 1
Schmitz, Dave 1
Sedgwick, John 1
Speizer, Louis 1
Sprague, Scott 1
Stevens, Laurie Hawkins 2
Strona, Polly Perkins 1
Sullivan, Vickie Alexander 1
Sultana, Terri Barrows 1
Thomas, Linda Schulenberg 1
Vangelos, Mary Kaye 1
Virts, Nancy Craig 1
Westheimer, Paula Gomez 1
Wilkus, Pat 2
Wilson, Steve 2
Woosley, Marianne Janitsch 1
Worth, Cindy Radcliffe 2
Total Tickets Purchased 104
|Posted by Tere Johnson on March 14, 2014 at 6:40 PM||comments (0)|
Join Your Forces
Show Your Loyalty.
With Pride and Spirit.
We Will Cheer It On To Victory,
Blue and Gold
Stand Beside US,
Leland Chargers Rule,
Ride on Chargers, Let US Hear It.
L,H,S, Fight, Fight, Fight
|Posted by Tere Johnson on February 9, 2014 at 8:45 PM||comments (0)|
Cost of Living
• New House: $34,900.00
• Average Income: $13,869.00/year
• New Car: $3,756.00
• Average Rent: $185.00/month
• Tuition to Harvard: $3,200.00 per year
• Movie Ticket: $1.75 each
• Gasoline: 54 cents a gallon
• U.S. Postage Stamp: 10 cents each
• Sugar: 67 cents for 5 pounds
• Milk: $1.56 per gallon
• Coffee: $1.00 per pound
• Bacon: 89 cents per pound
• Hamburger: 68 cents per pound
• Bread: 35 cents per loaf
• Facing certain impeachment in the House and conviction in a Senate trial, Richard Nixon resigns the office of the Presidency on August 9th.
• San Francisco militants calling themselves the Symbionese Liberation Army kidnap publishing heiress Patricia Hearst.
• The pocket calculator is marketed.
• Amnesty is granted to Vietnam draft evaders.
• Gerald Ford is sworn in as President declaring, "The long nightmare is over."
• Dr. Henry Heimlich describes the Heimlich Maneuver, a technique to help prevent people from choking to death in a 1974 medical journal.
• Band on the Run - Paul McCartney & Wings
• Bennie and the Jets - Elton John
• Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe - Barry White
• Cat's in the Cradle - Cat Stevens
• Sunshine on My Shoulder - John Denver
• I Honestly Love You - Olivia Newton John
• I Shot the Sheriff - Eric Clapton
• Kung Fu Fighting - Carl Douglas
• The Loco-Motion - Grand Funk
• Seasons in the Sun - Terry Jacks
• Young Frankenstein
• Blazing Saddles
• The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
• The Towering Inferno
• Chico and the Man
• The Jeffersons
• Good Times
• World Series Champion - Oakland A's
• U.S. Open Golf - Hale Irwin
• Pro Football Champion - Miami Dolphins
• Indianapolis 500 - Johnny Rutherford/158.589 mph
• Stanley Cup - Philadelphia Flyers
• NCAA Basketball Champion - North Carolina State
• College Football Champions - Oklahoma & USC
• Heisman Trophy Winner - Archie Griffin from Ohio State
• Wimbeldon Tennis Championship - Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert
• Life expectancy was 72.8 years
• Nobel Peace Prize Winner Sean Mac Bride and Eisaku Sato
• Miss America - Rebecca King (Denver, CO)
• Primitive word processors began to populate offices.
• Leonardo DiCaprio and Jewel were born in 1974.